Toughened Glass – What you need to know19th March 2020
Lets go back…
Toughened glass, or commonly known as tempered glass, was invented back in the 17th century (1) during an experiment. A piece of molten glass was dropped into cold water and consequently resulted in extremely hard glass. It was then in the 1930’s that companies began producing large quantities of toughened glass (2) and started to understand the value of this process.
But what exactly is toughened glass?
Great Question. Toughened glass is a form of safety glass. Certain steps are taken, such as tempering float glass followed by rapid cooling to add this additional safety element. Toughened glass is most commonly used in doors, windows, showers, and balustrades. However, it can also be found in automobiles, glass roofing and escalators (3).
Did you hear the joke about smashed glass? It wasn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
One of the main benefits of toughened glass is that by adding this additional feature, if broken the glass will smash into smaller pieces (very similar to smashed ice). It also makes the glass up to 4 times stronger than float glass (4). Although, there is never a 100% guarantee that glass won’t smash, this toughened process does add a little piece of mind to customers.
Tell me more!
- Toughened Glass is a Grade A safety glass.
- Toughened glass can be heat soaked, to add a secondary level of safety.
- Tough glass can be combined in custom laminated make ups.
Wait, have we mentioned… laminated glass was invented by accident? That’s a blog post for another time…
Thank you to you and your team for supplying the urgent mirror to us yesterday. Your service and quality is greatly appreciated.
By providing this mirror, defect free and in such a short space of time, you have helped ensure another client gets their keys on time.
Please pass my thanks and appreciation on to your team!
- Great guys. Best service in WA. Put the so called competition to shame
- Great Service. Have not seen better service in the glass industry. Great business ethics as well. Whoever you are using as your glass supplier give these guys a shot.
- Always a pleasure to deal with, knowledgeable staff that work with you to meet deadlines and requirements. Pricing competitive with other major suppliers.
May I just say that your staff at Tough Glass are providing us with excellent service. We have never in all the years experienced such a service. I rang on Wednesday to request a couple of urgent panels for which we collected this morning. That truly is amazing!!
Everybody should use Tough Glass and I would never use anyone else regardless of pricing like some do. I don’t think we have ever received a bad piece of glass from Tough Glass either. It’s a credit to you and your staff.